ASCERT’s six-week online Parent/Carer support programme starts on the 25th May 2021 7pm-8.30 pm.
The programme is aimed at parents /carers of young people aged 11 – 15yrs and is FREE to join.
The videos below provide information about the programme. You can register to take part using the registration link below.
This programme aims to empower parents of 11 to 15 year olds with the knowledge and skills needed to support their young people to make healthier lifestyle choices. It will cover:
- Current trends and statistics in relation to alcohol and other drug use in young people.
- The adolescent brain development and developing an understanding of risk-taking behaviours in young people.
- What factors put young people at risk and what factors protect them from alcohol/drug use.
- Exploring what parents can do to prevent or delay their young people from drinking alcohol and using drugs.
- Offering practical strategies for increasing connection and strengthening their relationships with their children.
- Outlining the importance of setting clear rules and expectations around their children’s alcohol and other drug use.
- Support for parents to create a parent-child connection/communication skills to last through the teenage years.
- Information on how and where to get further information, advice and support as required. Links and further reading for ongoing support will be accessible.